July 17, 2008

Would you give up your Lonely Planet?

clipped from online.wsj.com
Go to story.
Today I was reading the Wall Street Journal, and my favorite column The Cranky Consumer. The story was about the expansion of over-the-phone translation services. My first thought was great, then my next thought was.....maybe not.

Would you use this service while traveling? I might consider it if I was on a business trip, but then again I would probably hire someone to be with me who was fluent in the local language. On vacation, I still am inclined toward my favorite guidebooks and mini-dictionaries.

I think the interpretive dance we all do while acting out our meanings while in a foreign country, is kind of expected by the locals. Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails