December 16, 2008

Christmas Travel

How far have you ever traveled to go home for the holidays? In college I used to stay at school and go to a friend's house for Thanksgiving. However Christmas was always special and no matter how far I had to go or how long it took i.e. how many buses, connecting flights, layovers in Denver or Dallas-Fort Worth, I always made it home in time for Christmas Eve around the tree.

When I lived overseas I also returned home stateside in time for Christmas, except for one year. It still is one of my most bittersweet memories. How could I complain about not being home for Christmas when I had this wonderful opportunity and life set up in another country?

I had a lot to be grateful for that year - on the return to my overseas home I had a free first class flight to the island of Kauai. Though I tried not to complain and look on the bright side that year, I will admit to playing I left my heart in San Francisco about a hundred times - and tearing up almost every time it played.

Watch and listen to this and tell me you don't feel that tug on your heart - especially if you are far away from home and your home is San Francisco...



Music and a song's lyrics can create a touch point in our memories. When I travel on trains, planes and automobiles I like to listen to music - like most of us - and when you add a holiday like Christmas to the mix, look out. Do you have a favorite song attached to a journey home? Tony Bennett sings this favorite Christmas song of mine:

I'll be home for Christmas
You can plan on me
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents under the tree

Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love light gleams
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails