August 28, 2007

Madame Shoestring


When my aunt passed away, I received this one-of-a-kind doll that had been made for my aunt and her shop The Shoestring. Madame, as the doll is called, sat sweetly and properly overlooking the cash register for most of the years the shop was open.

The Shoestring
now only a memory, was a tiny shop in the Village Fair, a building located in downtown Sausalito, part of the old Sausalito art colony. As you can imagine the size of the shop was the reason for the name. The Village Fair at the time of my childhood held a miniature replica of Lombard Street in San Francisco, the crookedest street in the world. I would happily climb those steps leading to my aunt's shop each time we came to visit. My aunt owned and ran the tiny spot with little to no help for more than 25 years. She sold art and objects d' art from local artists to both tourists and visitors from across the Golden Gate Bridge alike. Every visit was exciting for me.

Now the shop has been gone for many years and the Casa Madrona Hotel & Spa remains. I hear it is lovely and romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails